The Office of the Secretary-General's Envoy on Youth (OSGEY) plays a lead role in the UN's efforts on youth development, focusing on raising international awareness of and bringing attention to youth issues and promoting youth rights and stronger youth participation in setting, implementing and evaluating the various development, peace and security, human rights and humanitarian frameworks.
The OSGEY plays a lead role in advancing the roll-out, implementation and monitoring of the UN Youth Strategy, "Youth2030", that guides the entire UN System’s work with and for young people and seeks to facilitate increased impact and expanded global, regional and country-level action to address the needs, build the agency and advance the rights of young people around the world.
This assignment will be undertaken in support of the Office of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth (OSGEY) to provide critical support to the implementation of OSGEY’s
communications strategy.The assignment will involve: supporting the overall social media strategy and various campaigns, contributing to core communication efforts, aligning content with the OSGEY and Youth2030 brand guidelines to convey a strong and consistent brand, sharing social media content with key partners within the UN system and externally, and collaborating closely with OSGEY staff and external partners on programmatic messaging and campaigns.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall guidance of the United Nations Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth and direct supervision of the Strategic Partnerships and Communications Lead, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- As part of a team, the youth volunteer will support the coordination of social media coverage of important events; support liaison function with news and publicationsagencies, public relations firms, internal and external partners of the office.
- Support the content creation and day-to-day management of the social media
accounts of the Youth Envoy and work on new and existing social media campaigns and initiatives for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Weibo.
- Specifically highlight the integration of youth and youth volunteers in UN field
operations across all UN pillars (development, peace and security, human rights,
humanitarian), including in joint initiatives with other UN and external partners.• Using relevant computer software, assist with creating designs in appropriate format for promotional and other material, e.g. brochures, presentational materials, announcements, video and audio material, catalogues, etc.; ensure that photos, graphics, etc. are appropriate and conform to UN standards.
- Assist in the production and editing of video/film projects, podcasts, radio
programmes or website projects; track all production material; produce scripts, cue cards, etc., select and catalogue sound and visual materials for inclusion in
productions, and obtain requisite clearances and copyrights; coordinate scheduling of commercial and internal production facilities; direct studio recordings and/or evaluate audio quality of recordings for inclusion in programmes.
- Research, compile and organize information and reference materials from various sources for reports, work plans, studies, briefings, meetings/conferences, etc.
- Proofread documents and edit texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, and for adherence to established standards for format as laid out in the UN Style Guide.
- Assist in the maintenance of websites by scanning, converting and posting a variety of documents onto the site.
- Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate
- Maintain calendar/schedules; monitor changes and communicate relevant
information to appropriate staff inside and outside the immediate work unit.
- Perform data entry and extraction functions.
- Review, record, distribute and/or process mail and other documents; follow-up on impending actions.
- Update and maintain large distribution lists; monitor, prepare and distribute various materials, reports, where possible using electronic formats; handle arrangement for printing and translation as necessary.
- Maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit.
- Assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Perform other duties as required.
Duration of the assignment and level of effort
The duration of this assignment is anticipated to be from 16 August 2021 – 15 February 2022.